Picture Books About the World:
We All Went on Safari – A Counting Journey through Tanzania
Written by Laurie Krebs and illustrated by Julia Cairns
Published by Barefoot Books
Set in: Tanzania
Synopsis: Join Arusha, Mosi, Tumpe and their Maasai friends as they set out on a counting journey through the grasslands of Tanzania. Along the way, the children encounter all sorts of animals including elephants, lions and monkeys, while counting from one to ten in both English and Swahili. The lively, rhyming text is accompanied by an illustrated guide to counting in Swahili, a map, notes about each of the animals and interesting facts about Tanzania and the Maasai people.
Another gem from Barefoot Publishing. ‘We All Went on Safari’ offers a wonderful window to the evocative African lands. Children will feel part of the expedition where they will follow a group of Maasai children and their grownups, adorned in their beautiful jewellery and red cloaks, as they observe ten different animals of Tanzania. The rhyming language and its rhythm helps even the youngest children to follow the story and to participate.
The illustrations show elements of traditional African art, a style favoured by the Oxford-based artist who got her inspiration during her travels in Kenya and Botswana, where she lived for 9 years. You can visit her website by clicking here (https://juliacairns.net)
What we liked about this book:
- The rhythm and the rhymes (an old time favourite of both children and parents.)
- The fact that it teaches children to count in Swahili.
- The beautiful African art.
- The info about Tanzanian animals, Masai People, Swahili Names, and Facts about Tanzania described at the end of the book.
- The fact that a portion of the proceeds from the sale of each book is donated to the African Wildlife Foundation, to aid their wildlife conservation and community building efforts in Tanzania.
Our favourite quote:
‘We all went on safari,
Over grasslands damp with dew.
We came across some ostriches,
And Mosi counted two.’
Here are some ideas of activities about Tanzania:
I’m a children’s books author based in the U.K. with a great passion for multilingualism and multiculturalism. My first book, “A Fish in Foreign Waters – a Book For Bilingual Children” is sold worldwide and has won bronze at the Wishing Shelf Book Awards. Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!